Light control offers many ways to help the environment, while beautifying your home. Dimmers and light control systems let you use just the right amount of light, reducing electricity usage and extending bulb life. With eco-home products, you can save energy without sacrificing comfort or style. Our whole-home light control systems extend energy saving throughout your entire home and our advanced technology allows you to control the latest energy-efficient light sources, such as LEDs and fluorescent lamps. Shading solutions help optimize daylight in your home by reducing heating and cooling costs while making the space more comfortable. The perfect complement to light and shade control, temperature control gives you the ability to adjust heating and cooling systems any time of day—even while you’re away from home, saving on your energy usage. Green Home technology also offers a variety of single room solutions to further increase your home’s energy efficiency.
Save Energy Beautifully
Top 10 Energy Benefits of Light Control
With light controls, you can save energy AND improve your working environment and quality of life at home. We gathered a list of 10 eco-friendly facts about light management solutions that are often overlooked. The possibilities may surprise you.
- Light Control Increases Comfort and Improves Productivity – Our energy-saving light controls provide a comfortable and productive visual environment. Enhancing the comfort levels of a space leads to increases in productivity. Through our Total Light Management solutions, better lighting not only can reduce the energy consumption of a room, it can improve the quality of work from its occupants.
- All Lutron Dimmers Save Energy. Every dimmer automatically saves 4-9% in electricity—even at the highest lighting levels—over a standard on-off switch. And when users choose to dim their lights, even more electricity is saved. Quite simply, the more you dim, the more you save. A standard light switch only saves electricity in the “off” position. Lutron dimmers and controls save energy 24-7.
- All Light Sources Use Less Energy When Dimmed. While incandescent lights are typically associated with dimming, all lighting sources, including halogen, CFLs, and, LED bulbs, can be dimmed. For example, a halogen light source dimmed 35% reduces energy use by 28%. On average, dimming an incandescent or halogen light will reduce energy use by about 20%.
- Dimming Saves Energy and the Environment While Enriching Your Life. While there are many ways to reduce energy use, most involve sacrificing something. Few actually enrich the quality of living and working environments like dimmers. Dimmers and other lighting controls allow individuals to adjust light levels for specific entertainment options, enhance ambiance, set a mood, and take advantage of daylight to reduce energy use.
- Lutron Solutions Contribute to 37 out of 110 Possible Points in the LEED® 2009 NC Rating System. Because of their energy saving benefits and contributions toward minimizing environmental impact, Lutron lighting and shading controls can contribute significantly to attaining Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) building certification for new construction. Lutron can help builders attain credit in several LEED categories: Sustainable Sites, Energy & Atmosphere, Material & Resources, Indoor Environmental Quality, and Innovative Design.
- Using Dimmers Saves Money. Using a Lutron dimmer in your home in place of a standard switch on an incandescent bulb can result in yearly energy saving of approximately US$8.00. If the light is dimmed 50%, and if you take into account the extended life of the bulbs, you can experience up to US$30 in annual savings†.
- Shading Solutions are also Energy Efficient. Shading systems save energy by harvesting daylight and reducing the load on HVAC systems, making any project more eco-friendly. Shading can also be made from eco-friendly materials. Sustainable materials from Lutron are either PVC-free or are 100% recycled. This has allowed some fabrics to receive certification from third-party organizations such as GREENGUARD® and Oeko-Tex®.
- If Every US Homeowner Changed 2 Light Switches to a Dimmer – Lutron estimates that by installing just two dimmers in place of two standard light switches in every home in the US, the potential annual savings could be US$1.5 billion in electricity and close to 25 billion pounds of CO2—the equivalent to taking more than 1 million cars off the road.
- Lutron Systems can Automatically Save Money and Energy. Automated systems like daylight and occupancy sensors and the HomeWorks® astronomic timeclock can turn on lights according to changes in light or the time of day. Without any input from the user, Lutron systems can reduce energy costs and usage.
- All Lutron Dimmers Extend Bulb Life. Dimmers reduce power to the lighting source or bulb, so they save energy and extend bulb life. Incandescent and halogen bulbs last up to 20 times longer when used with a dimmer, increasing the money saved.